You must observe the following rules:
1. As the event requires participants to walk along a rugged 100 km trail, it is suggested that only those with a reasonable level of fitness and adequate training should participate in the event. We strongly advise people without prior OTW experience to team up with those who have participated in the event in previous years.
2. All team members must be aged 18 or above by 29 January 2021.
3. (Applicable to the teams that have reserved their team place for OTW2020, to be held in Jan, 2021) Participants must form teams of four; confirm the team slot within the deadline mentioned by the organiser and submit team members’ particulars by 22 December in order to complete the registration process. Late submissions will not be entertained and the team slot will be forfeited.
4. (Applicable to the newly registered Open Teams at OTW2020, to be held in Jan, 2021) Participants must form teams of four. To confirm your place, you must pay the registration fee of HK$1,600 (per team) within the deadline mentioned on the email that to the Team Leader together with the registration information and submit team members’ particulars by 22 December in order to complete the registration process. Late submissions will not be entertained and the team slot will be forfeited.
5. The OTW is a challenging team event. Participants are strongly advised to allocate sufficient time for training and team building before the event. Please also avoid changing team members in the last month before the event. Changing team members on the day of the event is also not advised.
6. Each team must have four members when they begin the walk. Please arrive on time for registration to avoid delays. No team is allowed to change its registration and start time without the prior approval of Oxfam.
7. All participants will be required to sign a disclaimer during the registration period agreeing not to hold the Organiser or any sponsor/supporting organisation responsible for circumstances of, but not limited to, death, injury or damage to or loss of personal property. Please refer to the full version of the disclaimer at the website. This year, participants will also be required to sign a Health Declaration Form. Details to be announced.
8. Participants are strongly advised to purchase insurance at their own expense.
9. All teams (including those teams which are absent / withdraw on the event day) must raise a minimum sponsorship of HK$7,600, except for Pledge Teams, which must raise at least HK$72,000. Oxfam reserves the right not to accept applications for future Oxfam Trailwalker events from any member of a team which has failed to raise the minimum amount.
10. Registered teams wishing to withdraw from the event must give a written notice to Oxfam before 30 September 2020. This will allow wait-listed teams to take up the vacated places. Please note the following for withdrawal:
|Withdrawal with written notice between 1 October and 13 January||HK$3,800
HK$36,000 (Pledge Team)
|After 13 January, absence or withdrawal on the event day||HK$7,600
HK$72,000 (Pledge Team
Oxfam reserves the right not to accept applications for future Oxfam Trailwalker events from any member of a team which has failed to comply with the above stipulations.
11. There are nine Checkpoints (CPs) along the trail. All team members must stay together between CPs, and register together at each CP. You may not leave a CP until all your team members have registered. CP staff reserve the right to refuse to register incomplete teams or teams with members unaccounted for.
12. A timing chip will be attached to your number bib. All walkers must wear their number bibs and wristlets throughout the event for identification purposes.
13. Teams found to have taken shortcuts will be disqualified. A Control Point will be set up between CP9 and the Finish Point. Only teams that have registered at that Control Point and have completed the 100km course on the designated route are eligible for ranking or prizes.
14. All teams must register at a CP at or before its closing time in order to be allowed to proceed. Oxfam reserves the right to suspend the registration process of any walker whose condition is deemed unfit to continue.
15. The trail could get quite crowded, particularly in the early stages of the event. Please give way to teams that are walking faster.
16. Teams’ finishing times will be recorded based on when the last member of their team reports to officials at the Finish Point. Since Oxfam Trailwalker is a team event, no individual finishing times will be recorded.
17. Teams representing a company / organisation must provide the name of the company / organisation to Oxfam.
18. For Veteran I teams, all four members must be aged 55-64 on event day (29 January, 2021) in order to qualify. For Veteran II, all four team members must be aged 65 or above on event day (29 January, 2021) in order to qualify; Otherwise, those teams will be classified as Veteran I.
19. The Organiser reserves the right to change the event dates, routes or cancel the event in case of adverse weather conditions and / or other unpredictable factors. The registration fee and the donations will not be refunded.
- The organiser will implement some COVID-19 precautionary measures, participants and support team members are strongly advised to follow the measures.
- Take good care of your health. In case of sickness, please inform your teammates immediately and do not hesitate to call for help.
- Under no circumstances should any person be left unattended. Any member who is injured or suffering from exhaustion must be brought to the nearest CP by teammates for assistance.
- If a team member becomes seriously injured and cannot move, you must call the emergency phone number immediately (printed on the wristlets) to inform the organiser and specify your location. Teammates must accompany the injured person before the rescue team arrives.
- The MacLehose Trail and the final 6km of the trail leading to the Finish Point is marked by numbered distance posts every 500 metres. Please take note of the location of these posts during your training and the event. In case of emergency, quote the number of the nearest distance post to locate yourself.
- We advise that each team should have at least two fully charged mobile phones for emergency use. If you require emergency assistance, please inform us your team number, location, distance post number, state of injury and phone number to facilitate our immediate response.
- Team members should have basic knowledge of first aid. Please contact the Hong Kong St. John Ambulance at 2524 4888 or the Auxiliary Medical Service at 2762 2033 for information on first aid courses.
- If you want to withdraw during the event, you must first report to the nearest CP. The working personnel at that CP will then record the withdrawal in the computer, and confirm the status of the whole team. Remaining team members are not allowed to continue the event until the withdrawal is reported and a Drop-out Certificate is issued. The Certificate should be kept by the remaining team members and will be checked at each subsequent CP.
- If for any reason you have an urgent need to leave the event, you must call the emergency phone number to report to the Oxfam Trailwalker Control as soon as possible. You must also pass your number bib and wristlets to the remaining team members for the completion of the drop-out procedure at the next CP.
- Hand in the Drop-out Certificate to the working personnel at the Finish Point.
- For the safety of all walkers, if two members of a team have withdrawn, the remaining two members will not be allowed to continue until they have joined up with another team at a CP.
- Anyone who withdraws during the event must inform Oxfam Hong Kong.
- The organiser will not provide transport for walkers who withdraw during the event. Please note that CP 7 & 9 are restricted areas which cannot be accessed by public transport. The organiser will not provide shuttle service for walkers who retire at these CPs. Walkers should only choose to retire at places which are accessible by public transport, otherwise please be prepared to walk for a further distance and make sure you have sufficient food and water with you.
- You are strongly advised not to continue on the Oxfam Trailwalker 2020 (to be held in Jan, 2021) course after withdrawing. If you continue, you so entirely at your own risk.
- Teams that carried forward their team slots to OTW2020 (to be held in Jan, 2021) can make changes to their team members, including their team leader, before the deadline for changing team members.
- All teams (including Special Teams, Elite Teams and Sponsors/Supporting Organisation Teams) can make changes to their team members, including their team leader, before the deadline for changing team members.
- Newly registered Open Teams at OTW2020 (to be held in Jan, 2021) can only change team members; changing the team leader will result in the disqualification of the whole team.
You can change your team member(s) during the following phases:
|Phase||Fee (for each new member)||Period||Procedure|
|Submission of team members’ information||Free||13 October 2020, 10:00 – 22 December 2020, 18:00 (Hong Kong Time)|| Via online Team Page
By post or hand
|Late Change of Team Member
|HK$200||23 December 2020, 10:00 – 13 January 2021, 18:00 (Hong Kong Time)|| Via online team page
By post or hand
|Late Change of Team Member
|HK$500||29 January 2021 (Event Day)||All requests made after 18:00, 13 January will be handled on the Event Day. Fill in the Change of Team Member Form and pay the fee in cash at the registration hall.|
- Teams can pay the Change of Team Member fee (HK$200 for each new member) into Oxfam Hong Kong’s bank account (listed in the “Registration Procedure”). Please write your team number and leader’s name on the original copy of the deposit slip or printed copy of the online transfer Acknowledgement Note, and submit it together withe the completed Change of Team Member Form to Oxfam Hong Kong by post or by hand. Please write “Oxfam Trailwalker 2020 Change of Team Member” and your team number on the envelope. Cash or cheques will not be accepted.
- The Late Change of Team Member Fee is non-refundable. It cannot be regarded as donation and is not tax deductible.
Deadline: 18:00, 13 January 2021 (submission should be postmarked by or before the deadline)
As the event requires participants to walk along a rugged 100 km trail, it is suggested that only those with a reasonable level of fitness and adequate training should participate in the event. We strongly advise people without prior OTW experience to team up with those who have participated in the event in previous years.
The OTW is a challenging team event. Participants are strongly advised to allocate sufficient time for training and team building before the event. Please also avoid changing team members in the last month before the event. Changing team members on the day of the event is also not advised.