Rules & Regulations
You must observe the following rules:
- All team members must be aged 18 or above by 17 November 2017.
- Participants must form teams of four. Teams should pay the registration fee of HK$1,400 between 6 June and 4 July and submit team members’ particulars by 25 October in order to complete the registration process. Late submissions will not be entertained and the team slot will be forfeited.
- Each team must have four members when they begin the walk. Please arrive on time for registration to avoid delays. No team is allowed to change its registration and start time without the prior approval of Oxfam.
- All participants will be required to submit a signed disclaimer at the Start Point to agree not to hold Oxfam or any sponsor / supporting organisation responsible for circumstances of, but not limited to, death, injury or damage to or loss of personal properties. Please refer to the full version of the disclaimer on P65.
- All teams (including those teams which are absent / withdraw on the event day) must raise a minimum sponsorship of HK$7,600, except for Pledge Teams, which must raise at least HK$72,000. Oxfam reserves the right not to accept applications for future Oxfam Trailwalker events from any member of a team which has failed to raise the minimum amount.
- Registered teams wishing to withdraw from the event must give a written notice to Oxfam before 28 August 2017. This will allow wait-listed teams to take up the vacated places. Please note the following for withdrawal:
|Withdrawal with written notice on or before 28 August||Sponsorship not required|
|Withdrawal with written notice from 28 Aug – 14 Nov||HK$3,800 minimum sponsorship|
|Absent or withdrawal on the event day||HK$7,600 minimum sponsorship|
Oxfam reserves the right not to accept applications for future Oxfam Trailwalker events from any member of a team which has failed to comply with the above stipulations.
- There are nine Checkpoints (CPs) along the trail. All team members must stay together between CPs, and register together at each CP. You may not leave a CP until all your team members have registered. CP staff reserve the right to refuse to register incomplete teams or teams with members unaccounted for.
- Teams found to have taken short cuts will be disqualified. A Control Point will be set up between CP9 and the Finish Point. Only teams that have registered at that Control Point and have completed the 100km course on the designated route are eligible for ranking or prizes.
- All teams must register at a CP at or before its closing time in order to be allowed to proceed. Please refer to P.29-35 for the closing times of CPs. Oxfam reserves the right to suspend the registration process of any walker whose condition is deemed unfit to continue.
- The trail could get quite crowded, particularly in the early stages of the event. Please give way to teams that are walking faster.
- Teams’ finishing times will be recorded based on when the last member of their team reports to officials at the Finish Point. Since Oxfam Trailwalker is a team event, no individual finishing times will be recorded.
- Teams representing a company / organisation must provide the name of the company / organisation to Oxfam.
- For Veteran II, all four team members must be aged 60 or above on event day (17 November) in order to qualify; Otherwise, those teams will be classified as Veteran I.
Sickness or injury
- Take good care of your health. In case of sickness, please inform your teammates immediately and do not hesitate to call for help.
- Under no circumstances should any person be left unattended. Any member who is injured or suffering from exhaustion must be brought to the nearest CP by teammates for assistance.
- If a team member becomes seriously injured and cannot move, you must call the emergency phone number immediately (printed on the barcode bracelet) to inform the organiser and specify your location. Teammates must accompany the injured person before the rescue team arrives.
- The MacLehose Trail and the final 6km of the trail leading to the Finish Point is marked by numbered distance posts every 500 metres. Please take note of the location of these posts during your training and the event. In case of emergency, quote the number of the nearest distance post to locate yourself.
- We advise that each team should have at least two fully charged mobile phones for emergency use. If you require emergency assistance, please inform us your team number, location, distance post number, state of injury and phone number to facilitate our immediate response.
- Team members should have basic knowledge of first aid. Please contact the Hong Kong St. John Ambulance at 2524 4888 or the Auxiliary Medical Service at 2762 2033 for information on first aid courses.
- If you want to withdraw during the event, you must first report to the nearest CP. The working personnel at that CP will then record the withdrawal in the computer, and confirm the status of the whole team. Remaining team members are not allowed to continue the event until the withdrawal is reported and a Drop-out Certificate is issued. The Certificate should be kept by the remaining team members and will be checked at each subsequent CP.
- If for any reason you have an urgent need to leave the event, you must call the emergency phone number to report to the Oxfam Trailwalker Control as soon as possible. You must also pass your barcode bracelet to the remaining team members for the completion of the drop-out procedure at the next CP.
- Hand in the Drop-out Certificate to the working personnel at the Finish Point.
- For the safety of all walkers, if two members of a team have withdrawn, the remaining two members will not be allowed to continue until they have joined up with another team at a CP.
- Anyone who withdraws during the event must inform Oxfam Hong Kong.
- The organiser will not provide transport for walkers who withdraw during the event. Please note that CP 7 & 9 are restricted areas which cannot be accessed by public transport. The organiser will not provide shuttle service for walkers who retire at these CPs. Walkers should only choose to retire at places which are accessible by public transport, otherwise please be prepared to walk for a further distance and make sure you have sufficient food and water with you.
- You are strongly advised not to continue on the Oxfam Trailwalker 2017 course after withdarwing. If you continue, you so entirely at your own risk.
Change of Team Members
- In the interest of fairness, team leaders in the Open Team Category CANNOT be changed. changing your of team leader will result in the disqualification of the whole team.
- You can change your team member(s) during the following periods:
|Submission of Particulars of Confirmed Team Members||Free||6 June to 25 October||Submit team members’ details on Oxfam Trailwalker website, or fill in Registration Form and fax, email or post to Oxfam Hong Kong|
|Change of Team Member||HK$200 per member*||26 October to 14 November||Fill in the Change of Team Member Form and submit it with your proof of payment record to Oxfam Hong Kong by post or by hand|
|Event Day||HK$500 per member||17 November||Fill in the Change of Team Member Form and pay the fee in cash on site|
*Teams can pay the Change of Team Member Fee (HK$200 for each new member) into Oxfam Hong Kong’s bank account (please refer to P.21). Please write your team number and leader’s name on the original copy of the deposit slip or a printed copy of the online transfer Acknowledgement Note, and submit it together with the completed Change of Team Member Form to Oxfam Hong Kong by post or by hand. Please write ‘Oxfam Trailwalker 2017 Change of Team Member’ and your team number on the envelope. Cash or cheques will not be accepted.
Deadline: 14 November 2017 (according to the postmark)
- If a team member is changed after 25 October, the form and the fee of HK$200 for each new member should be submitted between 26 October and 14 November
- If a team member is changed after 14 November, the form and the fee of HK$500 for each new member should be submitted on the day of the event.
- The change of member fee is non-refundable. It cannot be regarded as a donation and is not tax-deductible.
- Oxfam Trailwalker is a challenging team event. Participants are strongly recommended to have adequate time for training and team-building before the event. Please avoid changing team members in the last month before the event. Changing team members on the day of the event is also not advised.