Thank you for continuing to support the Oxfam Trailwalker (OTW). The theme this year is: Oxfam Trailwalker: With You Through the Ups and Downs – Side by Side, Together We Thrive. Given the rapid changes and immense challenges we have faced over the past two years, we have continued to adjust, adapt and learn.
Throughout the last few months, we have been preparing for the event and are communicating with various stakeholders and government departments as we gear up for an in-person OTW this year. Our event proposal was submitted to the government last month. As part of the measures to fulfil the Government’s requirements of holding a major sports event, we will reduce the number of teams significantly, encourage teams not to form support teams. We will increase the variety and quantity of food and drinks at Checkpoints. While we understand this is not comparable with what your support teams can provide, we ask for your understanding given the special circumstances. Please read the information below carefully. The measures will be subject to the Government’s latest COVID-19 preventive measures. We will update our website accordingly.
The OTW is a very challenging activity. Participants have to hike up 23 hills/mountains, including Tai Mo Shan – the highest of them all, climbing a total of about 4,830 meters. It also involves many uphill and rugged roads. As such, we would strong advise participants to prepare in advance and familiarise themselves with all sections of the trail before the event.
The donations raised through the OTW help Oxfam Hong Kong (OHK) and communities fight poverty to improve their lives. These donations have also enabled OHK to implement various poverty alleviation projects and respond to COVID-19 in Hong Kong over the past year. To learn more, please visit OHK’s website: https://www.oxfam.org.hk.
Oxfam Trailwalker 2021 event information:
|Date||19 to 21 November 2021|
|Location||Start Point: Pak Tam Chung, Sai Kung
Finish Point: Phase III Hostel & Leadership Training Base, Po Leung Kuk Jockey Club Tai Tong Holiday Camp, Yuen Long
Route: 100 km along most of the MacLehose Trail and a connected route
|Event format||Participants must form a team of four to complete 100 km route within a 48-hour time limit.|
|Eligibility||1. Participants must be over 18
2. Teams that have raised over HK$20,000 or HK$7,600 in OTW 2020 are eligible to be a Special Team or Open Team respectively in OTW 2021
3. Team quota from the Open Team Lottery
|Government’s COVID-19 prevention requirements*||In order to hold the event safely and smoothly, we must meet the requirements for holding large-scale sports events under the government’s gathering ban. All prevention arrangements are in accordance with the latest government requirements:
1. Participants must have received two doses of a COVID-19 vaccine 14 days before the event (i.e. on or before 4 November).
*Participants might also be required to comply with other preventive measures requested by the Government closer to the date. We will inform all registered team accordingly.
|No. of teams||800 teams
(600 are Elite Teams, Special Teams and Open Teams with reserved spots from last year; and 200 are Pledge Teams, Open Teams, Sponsors and Supporting Organisation Teams this year.)
Because of COVID-19, the number of teams has been reduced significantly this year to meet the requirements for holding major sports events.
|Registration fee||Teams that have been confirmed to participate must pay a registration fee of HK$1,600 within the notified registration deadline.
Click here for details if OTW 2021 cannot happen in person.
|Minimum sponsorship|| – All teams must raise a minimum of HK$7,600 in sponsorship, except for Pledge Teams, which must raise a minimum of HK$72,000.
The Organiser reserves the right not to accept applications for future Oxfam Trailwalker events from any member of a team who has failed to raise the specified minimum sponsorship.
– Teams that have raised HK$36,000 or above will have priority in registering for Oxfam Trailwalker 2022 as Special Teams.
Please note that the sponsorship raised for OTW 2019 and 2020 will not be transferred to OTW 2021. Teams that want to join OTW 2021 will need to raise the minimum amount in sponsorship.
|Participation method||1. Eligible teams were invited to confirm their quotas and register in early August. If you belong to this group but have not received an invitation, please email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Other public teams can obtain team quotas by participating in the open lottery. Teams that are interested in participating in the lottery should sign in between 25 August and 1 September. The application fee for each team is HK$120. For details, please click here to see the public lottery process.
Further details will be announced after we have confirmed that we will go ahead with OTW – Virtually Together.
Starting Time and Registration Time
All teams must register and start at the designated time. No team is allowed to change its starting time without the prior approval of the Organiser.
To fulfil social distancing requirements, there will be no starting ceremony this year. Teams will set off progressively within the time range assigned to them based on the actual time they leave the starting line. Details will be announced later.
|Team Number||Starting Time
|Number of Teams|
|8001 – 8030*||08:00 – 08:09||07:10 – 07:40||30|
|8031 – 8060*||08:10 – 08:19||07:25 – 07:55||30|
|8061 – 8090*||08:20 – 08:29||07:40 – 08:10||30|
|8091 – 8120*||08:30 – 08:39||07:55 – 08:25||30|
|A2001 – A2030||08:45 – 08:59||08:00 – 08:30||30|
|0001 – 0030||09:00 – 09:14||08:15 – 08:45||30|
|0031 – 0060||09:15 – 09:29||08:30 – 09:00||30|
|0061 – 0090||09:30 – 09:44||08:45 – 09:15||30|
|0091 – 0120||09:45 – 09:59||09:00 – 09:30||30|
|0121 – 0150||10:00 – 10:14||09:15 – 09:45||30|
|0151 – 0180||10:15 – 10:29||09:30 – 10:00||30|
|0181 – 0210||10:30 – 10:44||09:45 – 10:15||30|
|0211 – 0240||10:45 – 10:59||10:00 – 10:30||30|
|0241 – 0270||11:00 – 11:14||10:15 – 10:45||30|
|0271 – 0300||11:15 – 11:29||10:30 – 11:00||30|
|0301 – 0330||11:30 – 11:44||10:45 – 11:15||30|
|0331 – 0360||11:45 – 11:59||11:00 – 11:30||30|
|0361 – 0390||12:00 – 12:14||11:15 – 11:45||30|
|0391 – 0420||12:15 -12:29||11:30 – 12:00||30|
|0421 – 0450||12:30 – 12:44||11:45 – 12:15||30|
|0451 – 0480||12:45 – 12:59||12:00 – 12:30||30|
|0481 – 0510||13:00 – 13:14||12:15 – 12:45||30|
|0511 – 0540||13:15 – 13:29||12:30 – 13:00||30|
|0541 – 0570||13:30 – 13:44||12:45 – 13:15||30|
|0571 – 0600||13:45 – 13:59||13:00 – 13:30||30|
|0601 – 0630||14:00 – 14:14||13:15 – 13:45||30|
|0631 – 0650||14:15 – 14:29||13:30 – 14:00||20|
- *How to qualify as an Elite Team (i.e. have a starting time between 08:00 and 08:40) on 19 November: To be eligible to apply, teams should have at least three members who have finished the OTW within 24 hours at least ONCE in the last three OTWs (i.e. 2016, 2017 and 2018) or completed the 100 km trail in one go within 24 hours in ‘OTW 2020 – Virtually Together’. The Organiser reserves the right to make a selection should the number of qualified teams exceed the places available. Teams that wish to apply to this category must submit copies of their past OTW certificates and ‘OTW 2020 – Virtually Together’ in one go certificate together with their registration forms, or after completing the online registration process, to Oxfam Hong Kong.
- On the event day, all teams MUST register 30-45 minutes before the designated starting time. Teams failing to do so could be disqualified.
Deadline: 21 December 2021
- All teams must raise a minimum of HK$7,600 in sponsorship, except Pledge Teams, which must raise at least HK$72,000. The Organiser reserves the right not to accept applications for future OTW events from any member of a team who has failed to comply with the above stipulations. Teams that raise HK$36,000 or more for OTW 2021 will have priority in registering for OTW 2022.
- Registered teams wishing to withdraw from the event must give written notice to Oxfam before 14 September 2021. This will allow other potential teams to take up the vacated places. For registered teams wishing to withdraw from the event, please note the following:
|Important Dates||Minimum sponsorship|
|Withdraw with written notice on or before 14 September||Sponsorship not required|
|Withdraw with written notice between 15 September and 31 October||HK$3,800
HK$36,000 (Pledge Team)
|After 31 October, absent or withdraw on the event day||HK$7,600
HK$72,000 (Pledge Team)
- All sponsorship must be paid to Oxfam Hong Kong no later than 21 December
- The Organiser reserves the right to not accept future OTW applications from participants who fail to comply with the above stipulations.
- OTW is a hiking fundraising event. Participants will be raising funds to support Oxfam’s various poverty alleviation programmes and COVID-19 response locally and globally. All money raised from the OTW must be donated to Oxfam in full.
Please note: If OTW 2021 cannot happen in person
If, because of COVID-19 or other unpredictable factors, the Organiser is unable to obtain permission to organise an in-person event from 19 to 21 November, we will go virtual with ‘Oxfam Trailwalker – Virtually Together’. Any application for withdrawal, refund or transfer of quota to the following year will not be acceptable.
Therefore, once a team confirms its participation in OTW 2021, it shall agree and must abide by the rules of Oxfam Trailwalker – Virtually Together. It is recommended that the team leader and team members discuss whether they are willing to accept these terms before accepting the team quota and paying the registration fee of HK$1,600.
For the detail of Oxfam Trailwalker – Virtually Together, please click here.