The Oxfam Trailwalker (OTW) is one of the largest fundraising sporting events in Hong Kong. The event this year has been scheduled for 19 to 21 November 2021 (Friday to Sunday). The 100 km trail starts from Pak Tam Chung in Sai Kung and finishes at the Leadership Training Hostel Campsite, Po Leung Kuk Jockey Club Tai Tong Holiday Camp in Yuen Long. There are nine checkpoints and one control point set up along the route. The OTW route is quite challenging; participants are advised to train adequately before the event (please visit our website for more information about the route: www.oxfamtrailwalker.org.hk).
Over the past year, Oxfam has implemented a wide range of poverty alleviation work in Hong Kong and has responded to COVID-19 here. This includes providing families with children that live in subdivided flats and elderly people living alone with nutritious meal kits designed by a dietitian through ‘Give A Meal’. And during the early stages of the COVID-19 outbreak, we offered street cleaners masks and other protective equipment to ensure their safety. Please visit Oxfam’s website (https://www.oxfam.org.hk) to learn how the donations raised, including those from the OTW, can help disadvantaged groups improve their lives sustainably.
Oxfam Trailwalker 2021 event information:
|Date:||19 to 21 November 2021|
|Location:||Start Point: Pak Tam Chung, Sai Kung
Finish Point: Leadership Training Hostel Campsite, Po Leung Kuk Jockey Club Tai Tong Holiday Camp, Yuen Long
|Event format||Participants must form a team of four to complete 100 km along most of the MacLehose Trail and a connected route within a 48-hour time limit.|
|Eligibility||1. Participants must be over 18
2. Team quota from the Open Team Lottery
|Government’s COVID-19 prevention requirements*||In order to hold the event safely and smoothly, we must meet the requirements for holding large-scale sports events under the government’s gathering ban. All prevention arrangements are in accordance with the latest government requirements:
1. Participants must have received two doses of a COVID-19 vaccine 14 days before the event (i.e. on or before 4 November).
2. Participants must have been tested negative for COVID-19 within 48 hours prior to the event (potentially at their own expense). We are now trying our best to arrange more convenient and appropriate testing channels for participants. Details will be announced later.
3. Overseas participants will need to follow the health quarantine arrangements for inbound travellers. Please visit https://www.coronavirus.gov.hk/eng/inbound-travel.html for the latest information.
*Participants might also be required to comply with other preventive measures requested by the Government closer to the date. We will inform all registered teams accordingly.
|No. of teams||800 teams
(600 are Elite Teams, Special Teams and Open Teams with reserved spots from last year; and 200 are Pledge Teams, Open Teams, Sponsors and Supporting Organisation Teams this year.)Because of COVID-19, the number of teams has been reduced significantly this year to meet the Government requirements for holding major sports events. The number of teams will be reduced from 1,300 to 800 this year to meet the Government’s requirements for holding major sports events.
|Open application fee||HK$120 per team (non-refundable and not tax deductible)|
|Minimum sponsorship|| – All teams must raise a minimum of HK$7,600 in sponsorship, except for Pledge Teams, which must raise a minimum of HK$72,000.
– Teams that have raised HK$36,000 or above can have priority in registering for OTW 2022 as Special Teams.
Application / Ballot / Registration Procedures
Application Period: 25 August to 1 September. Late applications will not be accepted.
- In the interest of fairness, every applicant should only submit one application (regardless of how applicants choose to apply). Applicants will be identified by their Hong Kong Identity Card or passport number. Submission of more than one form by the same individual(s) is prohibited. If this occurs, all relevant applications will be rendered void.
- Each team will need to submit a non-refundable application fee of HK$120. Please note that cash or cheques will not be accepted. Application and application fee submission methods are as follows:
You can apply online and submit your application fee by credit card (VISA / Master / UnionPay / American Express).
Deadline: 6:00 pm, 1 September 2021 (Hong Kong Time)
Submit the application fee by depositing it into / making a transfer to either of Oxfam Hong Kong’s (OHK’s) bank accounts:
|Bank of China||Hang Seng Bank|
|Deposit at a bank branch||012-874-0-013039-1||284-401080-010|
|Through ATM or e-Banking||012-874-0-013039-1||284-401080-010|
Please write your team leader’s name on the original copy of the deposit slip or on a printed copy of the online transfer Acknowledgement Note, and submit to OHK it together with the Application Form as proof of payment by 1 September. Late applications will not be accepted. Please note that we do not accept applications by fax or email.
- By post: Mail the Application Form together with the proof of payment to OHK (forms will be dated according to the postmark).
- By hand: Hand in the form to OHK within office hours
Location: 17/F, China United Centre, 28 Marble Road, North Point, Hong Kong (North Point MTR Station Exit A4)
Office hours: 9:00 am-1:00 pm and 2:00 pm-6:00 pm, Monday to Friday (Closed on Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays)
- The leader of each team will receive a ballot application number for their team from OHK. Teams that have submitted their forms and application fees but have not heard from OHK by 31 August should contact 2520 2525 as soon as possible, and, in any event, no later than 1 September. Late notifications will not be entertained.
- The ballot will be carried out on 6 September at OHK’s office. The drawing process and results will be overseen by auditing firm KPMG.
- Apart from the 200 eligible teams, 300 waitlisted teams will also be drawn on 6 September. OHK will notify the leader of each team individually.
- Results of the ballot will be posted on the OTW website on 6 September at 9:00 pm.
- The results of the ballot announced by OHK will be final and are not to be contested.
- Leaders of the teams whose applications are successful and are allocated slots from the ballot will be notified by OHK; teams can register online or by filling in a Registration Form.
- Unsuccessful teams will be notified by email by mid-September.
Registration Procedures for Teams That Have Been Chosen
Successful teams should submit the HK$1,600 registration fee between 7 to 14 September, otherwise OHK will assume that the team will not join the event. Their slot will be allotted to the next team on the waiting list. Successful teams should take note of the registration procedures below:
After completing the online registration and submitting the registration fee by credit card (VISA / Master / UnionPay / American Express), please send a copy of the team leader’s HKID / passport to OHK (the copy must correspond with the details provided in the Application Form).
Register by Post
Send the completed Registration Form to OHK together with a copy of the team leader’s HKID / passport (the copy must correspond with the details provided in the Application Form) and the original deposit slip or a printed copy of the online transfer Acknowledgement Note for the HK$1,600 registration fee (cash or cheques will not be accepted).
- The registration fee is non-refundable. The fee cannot be regarded as a donation and is not tax-deductible.
- Teams that fail to submit all required items by 14 September or whose HKID / passport particulars do not correspond with those on their Application Form will have their applications cancelled. Their slots will then be allocated to teams on the waiting list.
|Important Dates||Minimum sponsorship|
|Withdraw with written notice on or before 14 September||Sponsorship not required|
|Withdraw with written notice between 15 September and 31 October||HK$3,800
HK$36,000 (Pledge Team)
|After 31 October, absent or withdraw on the event day||HK$7,600
HK$72,000 (Pledge Team)
- All sponsorship must be paid to OHK no later than 21 December 2021.
- Teams that raise HK$36,000 or more for OTW 2021 will have priority in registering for OTW 2022.
- We reserve the right to not accept applications for future OTW events from participants who fail to comply with the above stipulations.
Change of your team members:
- In the interests of fairness, the LEADER of each team that is allocated a place from the open application ballot CANNOT be changed. Changing of a team leader will result in the disqualification of the whole team.
- Please click here to read the detail of changing team members, if needed.
Points to note
1. Support teams are not encouraged; Organiser will offer more food and drink
The number of teams will be reduced significantly from 1,300 to 800 this year to meet the Government’s requirements for holding major sports events. As such, we hope that participants will not invite or accept any kind of support (e.g. food, a change of clothes, massage, etc.) from family and friends during the event on the trail or at Checkpoints to avoid gatherings and minimise the chance of infection.
Instead, we will increase the variety and quantity of food and drinks at Checkpoints (e.g. individual packs of bread, biscuits, cup noodles, fruits, rice dumplings, sports drinks, etc.). Further details will be announced later. While we understand this is not comparable with what your support teams can provide, we ask for your understanding given the special circumstances.
2. COVID-19 vaccination requirement
Given government regulations, every participant is required to receive both doses of a COVID-19 vaccine and submit their vaccination records 14 days before the event (i.e. on or before 4 November) in order to join the event. We will also verify the participants’ identity at the Start Point. Details to be announced.
3. COVID-19 test requirement
In order to hold the event safely and smoothly, we must meet the government’s requirements for holding large-scale sports events under the current gathering ban. All prevention arrangements have been made in accordance with the latest government regulations, including a negative test report, which must be submitted 48 hours before the event. Participants must also complete testing (potentially at their own expense). We are now trying our best to arrange more convenient and appropriate testing channels for participants. Details will be announced later.
Participants might also be required to comply with other preventive measures requested by the Government closer to the date. We will inform all registered teams accordingly.
4. If OTW 2021 cannot happen in person
If, because of COVID-19 or other unpredictable factors, the Organiser is unable to obtain permission from the relevant authorities to organise an in-person event from 19 to 21 November, we will go virtual with ‘OTW – Virtually Together’. Any application for withdrawal, refund or transfer of quota to the following year will not be accepted.
Therefore, once the team confirms its participation in OTW 2021, it shall agree and must abide by the rules of OTW – Virtually Together. It is recommended that the team leader and team members discuss whether they are willing to accept these terms before accepting the team quota and paying the registration fee.
5. OTW – Virtually Together event information (tentative)
|Date:||1 to 28 November 2021|
|Location:||The route is approximately 100 km long; it starts at the Pak Tam Chung P.H.A.B. Site in Sai Kung and finishes at Tai Tong Barbecue Area in Yuen Long.|
|Participation requirements||1. A team of 4
2. Participants must be over 18
|Event format||1. Participants can choose to complete the 100 km within 48 hours (in one go)
2. Participants can complete the trail in two goes within 48 hours to complete the designated sections of the 100 km route
|Change of team member||Teams can make changes to their team members, including their team leader, before the deadline for changing team members.|
|Minimum sponsorship|| – All teams must raise a minimum of HK$7,600 in sponsorship, except for Pledge Teams, which must raise a minimum of HK$50,000.
– Teams that have raised HK$20,000 or above will have priority in registering for OTW 2022 as Special Teams.
Further details will be announced after we have confirmed that we will go ahead with OTW – Virtually Together.
For online applicaiton, please click here.